Rental Info & FAQs
PLEASE READ THE BELOW INFORMATION IN FULL, AS THIS DIRECTLY IMPACTS YOUR RENTAL CHARGES:
Rental books can be checked in at either the Cedar Rapids or Iowa City campus store. Please check our website - shop.kirkwood.edu - for store hours. Hours vary during breaks. Books that don't have a K number included cannot be checked in. Do not leave your book in a drop box or campus office without your name and K number. You will be charged to replace books that are not properly checked in. Rental Books can be mailed in using this link.
Make sure to use your K number as the RMA number. If mailing your books, make sure to check which books are rented. Non-rental books that are returned to the bookstore will be considered abandoned. We will not contact you or send them back. Non-rented books can be sold in person at the bookstore in Cedar Rapids or Iowa City. We buy books from 9am to 3pm Monday through Thursday and 9am to 1pm on Fridays. You can also sell books online using this link.
To RENT a TEXTBOOK, you will need:
A valid Credit Card and your Student ID (or Driver's License).
To RETURN a RENTAL at the END of the SEMESTER:
County Centers â€“ Any Kirkwood county center will accept rental book returns at the end of each semester, just to be sure to include name and K number. Ship it to the bookstore by USPS, FedEx or UPS, include your K number and name.
I can't return my book. It's lost/stolen/damaged/I need it for another term:
Convert to purchase at the bookstore. You pay the difference between the rental price and the original purchase price (less expensive than paying to replace the book). Convert to purchase using next Semester's financial aid. Just call the bookstore.
Can someone else return my book for me?
Yes! Make sure they have the name & K number of the person who rented.
Can I ship my rental books back?
Yes! Please use this link to print a shipping label and drop them at any US Post Office. Please insert one of these return sheets inside the front cover of each book.
*Paperback books may be shipped in a padded envelope.
*Hardcover books, or multiple books, must be shipped in a cardboard box RMA number = K-number
Want to RENT your Textbooks?
Your Bookstore now offers a large selection of textbooks to be rented!
What does this mean?
You are now able to get the same textbooks you need for class but pay less for them. All we need is your EagleCard present at the time of renting and a credit card or debit card to secure the rental.
When do you need to bring the rental books back?
Thatâ€™s easy! Just return all rental books by the last day of finals to the Cedar Rapids or Iowa City Bookstore for zero penalties or fees.
What happens if you forget to return your rental books?
Your credit card store in an encrypted database will be charged the retail purchase price to replace the textbook. This is completed the day after your return date. If we are unable to charge the credit card on file there will be a charge listed on your student account. Please see below for the entire rental agreement.
In consideration for being allowed to rent textbooks, I agree to the following terms and conditions:
- I understand that it is my responsibility to return the rented textbooks on or before the last day of finals during the current/traditional terms or, pay the current retail price to replace the book, on top of what was paid at time of the rental agreement.
- I understand the rental textbook is the property of the Bookstore, owned and operated by Kirkwood Community College. To rent a textbook, I must pay the textbook rental fee for the applicable textbook. By accepting the terms of the textbook rental program, I promise to return the rented textbook to the Bookstore in good, undamaged condition. The book must be in sellable condition, determined by the Kirkwood Bookstore.
- Whether or not I receive a reminder I realize that I am responsible for returning my rentals on time.
- I authorize the Bookstore to charge my credit card account the dollar amount equal to the full retail price of an identical book if the rented textbooks are not returned on or before the last day of finals during the current/traditional terms or, if the rented textbooks are returned in condition that are not reusable: this includes textbooks that may have been lost or stolen, water-damaged, or without pages or covers. Non processed credit card transactions will result in a hold being put on your Kirkwood account. I agree that all identifying stickers/ labels on the textbooks must remain intact and must not be removed, altered or obliterated. The full retail price is the price of an identical book purchased at the Bookstore on the first day of classes of the current semester; this is in addition to the original rental fee.
- I understand that if I drop a course for which I have rented a textbook, the rental fee is refundable only when I return the rental textbook within 10 days from the start of class and within 5 days of a late start class. No other refunds are allowed for rental books under this agreement. In order to return my rental during the refund process, I understand I am required to have my original rental receipt.
- I have read and fully understand the provisions and terms of this agreement and the Kirkwood Community College Textbook Rental Policy and agree to be bound thereby as evidenced by my signature at the time of renting.
What is In-Store Pick Up?
When purchasing your textbooks on our website, you can select In-Store Pickup at the Cedar Rapids or Iowa City Bookstores as your shipping option. If you have chosen the Cedar Rapids Bookstore as your In-Store Pickup location, you can then pick up your In-Store order at the window in the down the hall from the Bookstore. If you have chosen the Iowa City Bookstore for your location, your In-Store order will be ready for pick up at the Iowa City Kirkwood Bookstore when you have received a call from the Bookstore.
What are my payment options?
Payment is required when placing an order. You can pay with credit/debit card or with financial aid. Upon an order being submitted, credit/debit card accounts will authorize for the full total, which may result in funds being held at your banking institution. When Financial Aid orders are processed, funds will be taken out of your account. We cannot process split payment methods.
When will my order be ready for Pick Up?
Please allow 24 - 48 hours for your order to be processed. After placing an online order, you will receive a confirmation email from the Bookstore to show your order has been received. When your order has been filled, you will receive a second email from the Bookstore once your order is ready.
If after 30 days from the start of classes if you have not picked up your order, it will be refunded to your method of payment and the items will be re-shelved at that time.
What is required for In-Store Pick Up?
You will need to present your EagleCard or an official picture ID.
What if all my books arenâ€™t in at the time I order them?
Occasionally a book or item will not be available on the date we process your order. In this circumstance, all available items from your order will be filled and you will only be charged for those items. Any unavailable items will be back-ordered until they come in, at which point you will be charged for them. A sales associate will review your order with you at the time of pick-up to answer any questions you may have.
Contact us anytime with questions or concerns via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also contact our customer service department at: 319-398-5469.back to top